home about gigs follow me

Wednesday 15 April 2015

copenhagen diaries: day one

It's the next day and we wake up around 8am. It's a bliss to have slept for almost eight hours. A cup of freshly grounded coffee and the idea of having breakfast at Groed's makes me instantly believe that it's going to be a good day. Oh, and hey - the sun is peeking through the dramatic clouds. Could it get any better?
We're about to go out when Simon asks us to follow him. We take the stairs and in no time we're on the roof. Even though everywhere you look you see blocks of flats, the view is rather eye-catching. Being able to spend warm summer nights in a place like this one must be wonderful. 
On the way to the place where I will have the best porridge ever we pass so many quaint places that I die a little bit inside. How charming can one city be?
Especially streets like this one. Just add those effortlessly good-looking people, bikes and dramatic sky and you pretty much have the picture of the whole of Copenhagen.
All the canals make me think of my next adventure. I wonder how many similarities there are between Copenhagen and Amsterdam.
 We pass the Black Diamond and I'm impressed. I promise myself that the next time I'm in the city I'm visiting this place.
The city seems surprisingly calm and quiet.
At least until we see all of those who are less lucky that we are this morning, being in a hurry to work and school.
Then we get to the Torvehallerne and my excitement takes over. I must be kind of strange, you know, getting excited by so random and plain things as porridge. But then again, I think I just like to cherish those seemingly irrelevant moments in my life.
We order the most amazing porridges we'll ever have and take some time to talk over our plans for the rest of the day. "Let's take some of your innocence by showing you the great nightlife of Copenhagen" Simon says and we're not even thinking about disagreeing. 

Torvehallerne turns out to be the right place for me - filled with good food, good coffee and well-dressed people. Could have spent there hours if not for the plans we already had.
 I can't help myself but admire all those flower markets on our way to Grundtvig's church.
The sky is grey and upsetting but Copenhagen cheers us up with its colourful buildings.
Then we find ourselves in Assistens Cemetery. It's rather cold so we cannot see any people basking in the sun, or even better, sunbathing half-naked as it happens in the summer.
 What we see instead is nature coming back to life and all those little flowers put us in a good mood, making us believe that spring is around the corner.


Tiger is a store that we pass from time to time. I don't find myself strong enough to overcome the temptation so I ask the guys to come in. I find a glass jar, perfect for my morning coffee and it's only 10kr so I buy it.
 It seems like we will never get to the church but soon after thinking that I see it - and it's even more impressive when you see it with your own eyes and I'm mesmerized. I never thought that a building would affect me this much but it happens anyway.
My stupid camera does not want to do it's justice but at this point I don't care. It's all about living the moment, seeing things with your own eyes and not the lens of your camera. (well, at least most of the time)
I feel like we've time travelled but no, it's still 28th and we're still in Copenhagen.
We go inside and I die inside. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a religious person but the vibes this place has make me really overthink every aspect of this world we live in. We spend some time in there, just sitting on the wooden chairs in complete silence. "That's what I need" I tell myself - "some time to wind down and think".
We decide to come back home and relax a little big before our big night out. On our way, of course, we pass so many eye-catching buildings and I promise myself to live in one of those in the future.
In one of the stores, Peter buys a pack of cigarettes that will last for one night only.
We finally get back and decide to watch a movie and grab something to eat. Ham and cheese sandwiches seem to be the best option there is so we make those and spend the rest of the afternoon watching The Imitation Game. And it's almost as good as the lemon tea we drink.
On our way to get some groceries we go to Christiania to experience the atmosphere of this place. And it's interesting and strange at the same time but those positive people make me actually believe that it's good to have your own beliefs and fight for them. By the way, I find this very funny.
 We prepare chicken curry and play a game where we share our favourite tracks of all time. Some classics are being listened to. (and even some Polish bands have their five minutes)
We're so crazy and we don't curtain the windows but then again, we're in Copenhagen and people are not the same as they are in Poland. And I'm very keen on that fact.

We keep on drinking that 25kr worth wine and we are probably one of the happiest people on the planet. We talk about everything - from music to environmental issues as well as personal beliefs and we wait untill Kristian shows up so we can listen to some Danish rap. And it's just as terrible as the Polish one.

The clock says it's almost 10pm so it's time for us to hit the city. It's pouring down but nothing can stop us. (besides the fact that the metro refuses to work so we have to walk the whole time to the place) Kristian, being smart and clever, bikes to Moose so by the time we get there, he's already waiting for us. We order some Tuborg and try to find an empty table where we can leave our stuff. The place is pretty much packed but we manage to squeeze in the corner and soon we find ourselves chatting to some random girls and playing Mia and we just can't get the rules but it's fun anyway. We talk about everything and I forget about my normal life back in that little eastern european country and I'm simply happy. A group of stoned teenagers sits near us and I'm being asked if I've met the Santa. "Well, I haven't" I answer and it's clearly time for us to get back home. 

So that's what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment