home about gigs follow me

Wednesday 4 March 2015

best birthday I will ever have

It was September when I first saw that one of my favourite bands ever, Alt-J, is going to perform in Berlin on the exact same day of my birthday. I knew that is couldn't be a coincidence so I wrote to Jenny right away, asking if she'd be willing to go with me. And since she loves attending gigs as much as I do, I didn't have to wait long for her answer.

My sleepless carried on so you can imagine how I felt when the next day I woke up around 6:30. Reinhard was already awake so he made us coffee and we chatted a little before I headed to Alexanderplatz to meet Jenny. It was kind of weird as we've seen each other once before (for approximately 20 minutes let me add) but I knew everything was going to be great because we've spent the last half an year writing e-mails to each other so I already felt like Jennywas one of my best friends.

When I got to the Alexanderplatz, Jenny was already there, waiting for me with a smile even though it was really early. It was great to be able to see her after such a long period of time. We chatted like an old friends and I felt so grateful and happy that I was going to spend that special day with her. 
We decided to have breakfast in Distrikt Coffee so that was where we headed. After having great coffee and pancakes we spent around two hours just talking about music, travelling and all the things that make us happy.
As we didn't have any plans besides Alt-J's gig in the evening, we decided to go shopping.
As you do ;-)
The weather wasn't that bad, especially when you're used to polish minus temperatures during the winter.
I've been to these parts of the city when I visited Berlin for the first time years ago. It was great to be able to come back and see them again.
Jenny told me about her favourite restaurant, Block House, but in the end we didn't manage to go there.
It was still pretty early, but people have been already queuing near the red carpet, where actors and actresses were to appear in the evening due to the Berlinale. Jenny told me that a few years ago, she was one of the queuers herself, waiting in freezing cold to see Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.
We went to a super fancy mall where I bought some cosmetics. I mean, you gotta spoil yourself from time to time, right?
Then we went to Jenny's favourite music store in Berlin and I was enchanted. I had never had a chance to visit a store like that and as I'm a music addict it was a great experience! A lot of old school albums, vinyls, posters and calendars. We've spent there quite some time but I wouldn't mind. And it was so cool to hear all about Jenny's celebrity crushes!

We went to Alexa as well. The plan was to grab something to bite before queuing for Alt-j, but of course, some purchases at Kiko had to be made. Then I called Reinhard to see if he was home because I wanted to take something warmer with me as it was getting colder.

It turned out that he was at the post office so we had around half an hour to kill. We went to Primark and oh my, never again! So many people and so many things that you don't really need but you buy them anyway as the price is a real deal! Wish the quality was as well. I have no idea when I became so against big malls/stores. I guess I just like to shop in peace and silent (and from the comfort of my own home). 

Anyway, we got to Reinhard's flat and we decided to have a quick cup of coffee and tea. While I was packing my things in a hurry, Jenny and Reinhard were talking about music and other things that I could not understand as my German is kind of poor (for now). 
I hope Jenny won't mind me posting this picture of us. I just adore this girl so much! I've never met anyone so kind and wise. And she loves music just as I do, which is even cooler!

Talking while sipping coffee was lovely but after around thirty minutes it was time for us to leave if we wanted to be in the first row. We took U-Bahn and around 16:30 we arrived in Neukölln. There were only five people queuing which was suprising! Good for us anyway.
Two hours of waiting went very quickly but I guess it's always like that when you have a good company. More and more people started queuing and soon it was the time of opening the gates. The staff was really nice (to my amazement) and after running for around two hundred meters there was I - standing in the first row, having the best place I possibly could. Shortly Jenny joined me and we were patiently waiting (again) for the opening acts.
Gengahr were first to perform but to be honest I haven't even caught their name in the first place. Music was good but neither me nor Jenny understood anything they sang. 
 Then Wolf Alice came on stage and it was great! Music and the vocals were pretty impressive. I like this kind of music very much so I was happy we got chance to listen to them. Especially now that they getting bigger and bigger. Fingers crossed!

These two gigs were pretty amazing but I won't lie - it was Alt-J I was waiting for! So without further due let me write something about their performance.
They started with Hunger of the Pine and I was mind-blown. Didn't even have a chance to tape it because I was so excited I totally forgot to do it. Well, video-taping during gigs may be debatable but I always try to make even small videos from the gigs I attend as I'm scared I will forget those little things. Cheesy, I know.

I have no idea if you even know Alt-J but if you don't - it's time to change that! Not only have they the most amazing lyrics ever but also the music itself is just glorious. I mean, I nearly swooned there from all the feelings, haha! Joe's vocals were absolutely amazing, even better that I expected. The vibes that these guys have, the music and brilliant lighting made this gig unforgettable. If you ever have a chance to see them live - do it! 
I've attended a lot of gigs and I have to say that it was the best one so far. (partly because of the fact that I was there with Jenny, partly because it was my birthday and partly beacuse it was in my beloved Berlin)

They also performed Fitzpleasure, Something Good, Left Hand Free, Dissolve Me, Matilda, Bloodflood, Bloodflood Pt. 2, Leon, Shesheshe, Tessellate, Every Other Freckle, Taro, Warm Foothills, John Hurt, Lovely Day, Nara, Leaving Nara and Breezeblocks.

Even thinking about this gig now makes me want to cry. It was so bloody perfect!

I heard that sometimes they do meet their fans after gigs so I wanted to stay and wait but they haven't done this this time. Me, not being discouraged, started shouting "Entschuldigung, entschuldigung" (which is very useful phrase by the way) so that one of the security guy would come up to me. And one of them did! 
I said something like: "Oh hi! I have a question - could you give me one of those setlists that are left here? I have birthday today and I came all the way from Poland especially for this gig..." And what happend next is still mesmerizing to me. The guy turned out to be Polish as well so I quickly switched to Polish and started talking with him. He was so nice and cool and in no time I had the setlist in my hands! He was laughing at me because I was so happy and cheerful and he even told one of the man from Alt-J crew that it was my birthday and I got a high-five and best wishes. That was one of the most amazing things that happend to me. Like ever. 
Then we decided there was no point in waiting so we went out searching for a bus stop. And then my good luck finished as I realised I had lost my day-ticket and I had to buy a new one. But it didn't matter at all. Somewhere between losing my mind beacuse of the Alt-j's great performance and losing my bus ticket, my friends called me to wish me happy birthday. And I couldn't feel more happy and grateful for everything.

On the bus we discussed the great day that we had while eating cheesy snacks from DM. They were pretty good I have to say. We got to the Alexanderplatz for one more time that day, hugged and wished ourselves good night sleep. We were going to meet the next day (or now thinking about it, the same day but in the morning) for a breakfast and a day of sight-seeing and just having great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment